Our Guide To The Perfect UK Winter Staycation
21 Jan 2022
A staycation holiday in the UK allows you to kick off 2022 with a bang and enjoy the great outdoors without the summer crowds! There’s never been a better time to fully wind down to enjoy the little things, and a winter break is the perfect way to do just that.
Our Country Parks are open 365 days a year, so there are no excuses when it comes to having a last-minute trip at your holiday home. So pack your bags, and don’t forget your hats, gloves, and scarves! Here’s our list of ‘must do’s to have the best winter staycation at your Park
Don’t let the cold weather put a dampener on your trip! With a little extra planning, you can prepare for the frosty days and keep toasty.
– Any trip away in the UK requires a waterproof jacket! Keep it at the top of your bag for quick access in case you get caught in the rain whilst out and about.
– If you’re staying at Forget Me Not and intend on taking an afternoon stroll through the park’s forest, make sure you bring your wellies!
– Sunglasses are essential. We swear by them. The majority of days, we experience all four seasons in one hour!
– You can never go wrong with an extra pair of socks (or two). After spending a day at the beach, avoid sandy toes and shoes with a new fluffy pair of socks, or layer up for winter walks when it’s that bit chillier outside.
Winter on the Northumberland coast offers stunning views, crisp and refreshing walks, and the opportunity to spot seals, dolphins, and seasonal birds. How great is that?!
If you have a holiday home at Ord House Country Park, why not visit the mysterious tidal island off the coast of Northumberland? When it’s safe to cross the causeway, you’ll discover delightful cafés, a historic priory, and a castle perched on the cliffs. The perfect winter’s day spent exploring.
To note – before visiting Holy Island, always verify the safe crossing hours, as twice a day, it is isolated and becomes inaccessible.
Can anything beat a pub lunch? (Absolutely not!) Picture this, after a nice walk through the woodland, you’re heading into the warmth and ordering a big pie with mash. We bet you can feel the crackle of the fire now…
At Newbus Grange Country Park, we are lucky to be located just 10 minutes away from Darlington town centre. Here are our top 3 favourite pubs to visit:
– The Pennyweight is a traditional Darlington pub with a wealth of history laid beneath its floors. Their food is packed with British tradition. Tried and tested for over a decade, their delish dishes provide a one-of-a-kind experience. The best bit – it’s just a 12-minute drive away!
– Darlington’s favourite local pub, The Mowden, has grown throughout the years into one of Darlington’s most popular places for both food and casual drinks, with a varied selection of quality
beers, wines, and spirits. The menu has everything from cosy pub favourites to burgers, steaks, and fresh seafood. What are you ordering first?
– Salt is just a 14-minute drive from Newbus Grange Country Park. Their food is best described as comfort street food with a hefty helping of enthusiasm and high-quality ingredients used throughout. It’s what we call proper decent scran!
Do you have a holiday home at The Kaims Country Park? If so, for your winter getaway, we recommend you and your family take a trip to Bamburgh Castle. For almost 1,400 years, Bamburgh Castle has stood on patrol above the stunning Northumberland coastline. Did you know… Bamburgh Castle is one of the largest residential castles in the country, spreading nine acres of land on its rocky hilltop?!
Its enormous scale makes it a favourite for film crews. Most recently, it actually featured as the setting for the Hollywood film BFG! If you want to learn all about the wonderful castle, why not take a tour with your very own personal tour guide?
Explore the raw coastline beauty of Holy Island in the footsteps of the ancient monks who erected a monastery here 1,400 years ago. Or learn about a gruesome Viking attack, the worship of St. Cuthbert, and the Lindisfarne Gospels – a remarkable medieval manuscript.
Have we missed any of your favourite winter staycation activities? Let us know on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter, and don’t forget to give us a follow while you’re at it. More information on our parks may be found here, and you can contact us with any inquiries via our contact page.